Ways to Reduce Energy Bills in the Winter
Are you scared your energy bills will skyrocket with the lowering temperatures in the Tallahassee area? You don’t have to be. There are plenty of things you can do both big and small, that can help you reduce that area of your budget.
Big things, like investing in new and improved HVAC system, will result in larger impacts on your monthly statements. But, smaller adjustments can also have a large effect, with no cost to you.
Here are some smaller things you can do to help lower/control your monthly expenses.
- Turn off the lights when the room is unoccupied.
- Keep all your vents and registers open.
- Keep the windows and doors of your home closed. Winterizing windows and doors can also really help.
- Change your furnace filter.
- Switch to high-efficiency light bulbs.
- Avoid using space heaters and other supplementary heating methods.
- Operate your ceiling fans correctly for the best distribution of air (clockwise during the winter).
- Set your thermostat to “AUTO” instead of “ON.”
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
- Take shorter showers.
- Open curtains to encourage warm rays from the sun into your home for natural heat.
- Unplug items like televisions, kitchen appliances and more when they aren’t in use.
- Layer up instead of turning up the thermostat during the winter. Bring out the fluffy socks and blankets!
- Have a timer for your lights.
- Take cooler showers.
If these smaller adjustments in your home aren’t making a difference in your energy bill, consider your HVAC system. Is it aged? Well maintained? If so, it may be time to invest in a new unit.
Luckily, John D. Jones is here to help you through this process. For more information about installation and rates, visit our website at www.johnjoneshvac.com or call us at 850-539-7294. We’re excited to hear from you!
John D. Jones A/C, Heating & Refrigeration is fully licensed and insured. We offer round the clock emergency service.